Arab Coalition for Darfur
Location: Cairo with regional travel.
Salary: $1150 per month
CVs to be sent as soon as possible to: May 15, 2012
The Arab Coalition for Darfur was created in 2008 and now consists of over 120 members from 19 Arab countries who have come together to provide a voice from the Arab world to address and raise awareness on the humanitarian suffering in Darfur. The Coordination Unit is based in Cairo and works primarily through a secretariat of six people in various countries, and focal points spread across the region. The Coalition seeks a special multi skilled Manager for the exciting and innovative initiative.
Working with an assistant, key responsibilities will be as follows:
- Overall responsibility for the drafting and the implementation of the annual plan in consultation with members, and updating the three year strategy approved by the secretariat and ACD’s General Assembly.
- Coordinate the review, planning and strategy meetings of the secretariat, organizing documentation, meetings’ agendas and the follow up.
- Monitor and support work of focal points, with particular focus on those most active and in the most strategic locations.
- Draw up an action plan from the annual plan, and update it on at least a quarterly basis.
- Mobilize and coordinate agreed joint actions at the level of capitals as well as regional events via the secretariat, involving ACD’s wider membership.
- Take all daily decisions to implement targeted plans, in the framework of bi-weekly meetings. The ACD Secretary General is only required for sign off on public statements and overall plans.
- Provide members with the required information, including regular situation updates on Darfur and the wider Sudan, raising awareness and ceasing opportunities for the coalition.
- Demonstrate in depth policy analysis and working with ACD secretariat members, generate and maintain updated policy positions for the ACD, share information on Darfur/Sudan policy debates, and provide lobby and media messages and public statements/briefs for use by secretariat and members.
- Overall lead on strengthening the membership of the ACD with an emphasis on qualitative, effective and geographically spread members rather than on numbers.
- Oversee membership applications against agreed criteria in consultation with the ACD Secretariat, monitor the growth in memberships. Invite and manage feedback from members, manage regular information sharing and reporting to members, and build accountability within the coalition.
- Performing budget management, including significant number of sizeable grants to ensure financial reports are generated each month and quality financial and narrative reports reach donors on time.
- Manage fundraising for the ACD, which includes writing and submitting proposals, with a high level of involvement with and knowledge of potential donors.
- Communicate with the media, and act as a spokesperson on behalf of the coalition as needed. Prioritize and strengthen relations with key strategic media outlets and individuals across the region.
- High-level representation and lobbying with key officials in the Arab region, on behalf of the coalition and its members.
- Regular regional travel to expand the membership and strengthen already existing ties with key political officials in the Arab world.
Desired skills and experience:
- At least 3 years of experience in a relevant field preferably with civil society organizations and with existing working relations with key players.
- Excellent team work and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work with very little supervision, taking the lead and initiative.
- Ability to mobilize from a distance individuals in other organizations in many different countries.
- Proven management skills in a previous role.
- Smart and strategic media work including digital media, and working relations with key media outlets.
- Competent with budget and financial management.
- Sound political analysis skills and an understanding of sensitivities. Conversant with Sudan’s affairs in particular the Darfur crisis.
- Experience with public speaking and bilateral lobbying meetings.
- Solid knowledge of the human rights situation in the region, with a specific focus on Darfur and the wider Sudan.
- Very good or fluent in spoken and written English and Arabic.
- Willingness and ability to travel in the region.
This vacancy is a senior position with management requirements of two posts: assistant and finance/administrative posts.
The holder of this post will be in charge of reporting to the Secretary General of the Arab Coalition for Darfur.